Podiatry Medical Billing Expertise
"I am a believer now. The 90-day Account Receivable (AR) rate is the important cash Key Performance Indicator (KPI). Now that I am using SMB and am focused on that KPI, the cash in my bank account has dramatically increased!" - Current SMB Medical Billing Client. #podiatrybilling #podiatrymedicalbilling #podiatrybillingexpertise #podiatry #podiatryexpertise #podiatrists #medicalbilling Unsolicited Testimonials and Case Studies
Information - click bar below to open
SMB focuses on 10 key areas of the Billing Process:
- Coding - All claims are reviewed by Human expert podiatry billers before the claim is sent to the clearing house. All claims are handled upon receipt. SMB uses electronic transmission to dramatically speed up cash flow. SMB makes sure that every individual item of a procedure is coded and claimed. For example: when coding for orthotics, SMB makes sure that the orthotics as well as the casting supplies and the bio-mechanical examination are included, coded and claimed.
- Explanation of Benefits - SMB scrutinizes, checks and triple checks every line item of every EOB. Our goal is to make sure that you get all that is rightfully yours. We go after any amount, no matter how small.
- Patient Relationships - SMB handles several critical patient relationship activities for you. SMB answers patients' questions about their bill. SMB reminds delinquent accounts to pay their bill. SMB creates and mails patient statements. All of SMB's workers are located in the United States with excellent command of the English language. SMB's help desk is specifically trained to work with older Medicare Patients - What this means is: older patient will understand your statement, not fight you.
- Payors - SMB processes podiatry medical claims in every CMS region and State. Rules and procedures differ from CMS region to CMS region. And for commerical payors, rules and procedures change from area to area, sometimes within the same State. SMB's billers understand these differences which allows SMB to maximizes our clients reimbursements.
- Write-Offs - SMB dramatically reduces write-offs. How? SMB examines and reexamines all write-offs. SMB uses a three level review and approval process for each write-off to verify that each write off is justified and appropriate. Here, we are guarding against the use of write-offs as a way for claim processors to reduce their workload. It is our experience that the triple review and approval process is absolutely vital to ensure the integrity of the billing process.
- Aging - SMB tracks all payments. Any payment due that has not arrived within the allotted time, i.e. two weeks for Medicare, 30 days for patients, etc., is investigated and payment is demanded. The benefit of this is to keep your outstanding 90-day receivables to less than 3% of your total reimbursements.
- Rate Variance - SMB reports to you when your rates are less that your contracted rate. The point here is to give you the information you need to ensure that you are not leaving money on the table by not charging enough for your services.
- Real-Time Information Flow - Patient and Billing information is up-dated and available 24/7 to you via SMB's cloud-based computer systems. Electronic copies of all documents are provided in real-time. Accounting of all work done is provided daily. We balance to your books. Our people are always available via toll-free phone, facsimile and E-mail. This transparency keeps you in control of your practice. SMB uses secure computer faculties and complies with all HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Getting Billing Information to SMB - Providing SMB your billing information is easy. You have your choice of three methods of sending data to SMB:
- Allow SMB to log onto your system to extract the billing informaion.
- Email the billing information to SMB.
- Fax the billing information to SMB.
- Scheduler - Free, included with SMB's Service, a robust cloud-based scheduler that will handle up to 20 providers per practice.
- Monitors Encounter forms or EHR/EMR generated claim information for correct, appropriate and up-to-date diagnostic and procedure codes.
- Data Entry of all patient information, diagnostic and procedure codes for claims submittal.
- Electronic transmittal of claims to correct payors (Medicare, Medicaid and insurance companies) for reimbursements.
- Tracking claims and reimbursements to ensure timely payment by payors
- Reviewing Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) to ensure that your claims are being correctly reimbursed
- Aggressively appealing incorrect reimbursements to payors for proper payment
- Following all of the above steps for secondary and tertiary payors
- Included: 24/7 real-time web access to current billing data
- Included: 24/7 real-time web access to current patient information
- Included: 24/7 real-time web access to your scheduler
- Creating and mailing statements for patients
- Answering patients questions about their podiatry bill
- Reminding delinquent accounts to pay their bill
- Balancing to your practice's books
- Documenting, in real-time, all work that SMB does for you
- Always available to handle any questions, concerns or changes from either of you
- Exchanging billing information with SMB is easy. You have your choice of three methods of sending data to SMB:
- Allow SMB to log onto your system to extract the billing informaion.
- Email the billing information to SMB.
- Fax the billing information to SMB.
It is very easy and convenient to use our service. We handle all reimbursement related matters. All you have to do is account for the checks from the payors when they arrive in your bank account.
We handle all patient-billing questions in a quick and affirming manner. This alone has saved over 2.5 hours each day for some of our clients. We are especially good with older Medicare-type patients who have a hard time with change. We print the toll-free number on all of the patient statements we send out for you. In real-time, we provide you with the latest status of every patient account. This is true transparency of SMB's work.
We do everything possible to get you paid quickly. The fact that we get paid only after you are paid should rest any concerns about delayed reimbursements. All claims get processed as quickly as possible. All claim submissions and payor responses are processed electronically. What this means to you is we know within 2 days if a claim transmittal is going to have difficulties getting paid by the payor. Electronic billing also means you get paid within 14 days for uncontested claims. We stay on top of the process, letting nothing fall between the cracks, making sure that the cash flows.
SMB's Billers are Ready!
SMB Medical Billing Billers are trained and ready for your ICD-10 code implementation. They will answer your questions and ensure that the correct codes are used when submitting your claims. This will help to ensure that you will be paid, paid correctly and on time.
SMB's Medical Billing Account Receivable Specialists are Ready!
SMB Medical Billing Account Receivable Specialists are also trained and ready for your ICD-10 code implementation. Within SMB they are know as the "Aging" specialists. Their mission is to make sure that your claim reimbursements are paid and paid in a timely manner. Industry Experts predict that reimbursement payment will be delayed an additional 90 to 120 days due to the ICD-10 implementation. Aging's job is to eliminate that delay. SMB has always kept its clients' 90-day receivables to less than 3% of their total reimbursements.
SimplyPodiatry™ Computer Systems are Ready!
SMB's cloud-based computer systems, SimplyPodiatry™, has been updated and tested to be ICD-10 compliant. Patient and Billing information is up-dated and available to you 24/7. Electronic copies of all documents are provided in real-time. Accounting of all work done is provided daily. We balance to your books. Our people are always available via toll-free phone, facsimile and E-mail. This transparency keeps you in control of your practice.
No ICD-10 related Write-Offs!
SMB will not allow a write-off due to ICD-10 mistakes, either by an insurance company nor a practice. This extra service will dramatically reduce write-offs due to confusion about ICD-10. SMB examines and reexamines all write-offs. SMB uses a three level review and approval process for each write-off to verify that each write off is justified and appropriate. Here, we are guarding against the use of write-offs as a way for claim processors to reduce their workload. It is our experience that the triple review and approval process is absolutely vital to ensure the integrity of the billing process.
ICD-10 Rate Variances Checked!
SMB reports to you when your rates are less that your contracted rate. This is important for along with ICD-10 code changes, there will also be many reimbursement rate changes. The point here is to give you the information you need to ensure that you are not leaving money on the table by not charging enough for your services.
Explanation of Benefits Examined!
SMB scrutinizes, checks and triple checks every line item of every EOB. Our goal is to make sure that you get all that is rightfully yours. We go after any amount, no matter how small.
Podiatry Billing Expertise is important - Case Study
- Situation: A Doctor, his own Podiatrist Practice
- Critical Issue: Doctor's current billing service did not understand the unique aspects of podiatry billing.
- Reasons: He was using a medical billing service that did not understand the unique aspects of podiatry medical billing. Thus, whenever the Doctor needed to know how to code his Superbill to correctly reflect the services rendered; his billing service could not correctly nor quickly answer his questions.
- Capabilities: He said he needed a service that knows the unique aspects of podiatry medical billing, and can advise him on how other podiatrists across the country are coding their Superbills. So, when he needs information that is critical to him and his Practice, he quickly gets the correct answer.
- SMB Provided: SMB provides him a service that specializes in podiatry billing and podiatry medical coding expertise.
- Results: His reimbursements are up 31% and Medicare has no issues with the coding of his Superbills.
Results Achieved by SMB's Clients - click bar below to open
Peace of Mind - Relief from Audit Fears
CMS Audits - The mere mention of audits strikes terror in the hearts of most Podiatrists. The thought of spending years in a Federal Prison because their claims were not coded correctly makes the knees of the strongest person quiver. Add to this the situations of Podiatrists who undercoded their claims and still got in trouble with CMS.
The safe path is to use SMB Medical Billing. SMB has been in business since 2001. In all that time and hundreds of thousands podiatry billing claims, SMB has never had a client in trouble with CMS or another payor over coding. SMB has had only one practice audited. With SMB's help, that client won their audit."I like being able to call SMB and getting up-to-date expert advice." - Current SMB Client
With SMB's indepth knowledge of modifiers and procedures codes, SMB keeps their clients out of trouble . SMB standard operating procedures make sure that you do not leave "money on the table" due to fear of audits or lack of billing expertise.
Transparency of all of SMB's work for you is open and available to you in real-time. This means that you are never in the dark about what is happening with your claims. You will feel comfortable seeing and understanding what is being submitted in your name.
One SMB client states; "Now, I, as I'm sure you, as a future SMB client will, feel calm and relaxed." Another client says that now, "All is quiet in the office late at night, for all have gone home." A third client's testimony is:"I clearly see a bright future with the stacks of paperwork gone, being processed by the experts at SMB."
Improving Patient Relationships
Podiatrists who came to SMB felt that they needed a way to better connect with their patients. Prior to SMB, they could hear their patients' frustration in their voices and saw angry looks on their faces.
A major source of the patients' frustrations was a reflection of the Doctor's fear that the payor would not cover the proposed procedure. Or, if the Doctor knew that the procedure was covered, that it would be miscoded. The Doctors came to SMB because they felt that they needed an expert, who was on their side, to accurately give them billing and coding advice.
SMB's well-deserved reputation of dramatically improving patient relationships for SMB's Clients is achieved by doing three things well:
- An aptitude for working with patients.
- Mastery of navigation through the payors' mazes.
- Providing a real-time, transparent, 24x7 system.
This is important, for SMB's Podiatrists have the expert help and advice to cultivate patient relationships.
SMB's Clients now hear from happy patients. As written on a client's evaluation form: "We feel that our patients are comfortable now that we have switched to SMB's service." Another observed: "The angry looks are now gone!"
The two best ways to expand a practice is to maximize reimbursements and minimize accounts receivable. This means that your money is in your pocket for you to use.
Many of SMB Clients have expanded their practices to include additional doctors and staff; upgrade their facilities; or add multiple locations by allowing SMB's experts to maximize their reimbursements. SMB does this by being experts at podiatry medical billing coding, understanding payors, monitoring rate variance, scrutinizing EOBs and resisting write-offs.
Reducing accounts receivable is a key aspect of expanding a practice. SMB's industry leading accounts receivable track record of 3% of reimbursements after 90 days and 1% of reimbursements after 120 days really help SMB's clients expand their pracitces. SMB does this by aggressively tracking all payments, sending patient statements out quickly, and getting paid correctly the first time.
Because SMB has helped its clients expand their practice, they feel secure in their operations and future. We have been told, "SMB really understands the unique aspects of my podiatry practice. This is important because it allows me to maximize my reimbursements." Also, "With SMB, my practice has true financial hope!" and "My cash flow is very good - now that I use SMB!"
Achieved a Lifestyle Equilibrium
A lot of Podiatrists are having trouble balancing the workload demands of their practice and desired lifestyle. They want to feel like they are successful without feeling like a slave to all of the twisted minutiae of billing issues. We hear the wish for a more personal time in the voices of those who call us. Also,"My future is very dull and hazy because I cannot see a way to a brighter path because of all the time spent on billing issues!"
SMB's Clients have achieved an optimize balance between work and their personal life. SMB reduces workload by manageing patient relationships and dealing with payors about billing issues. SMB' systems and procedures are organized to dramatically reduce your workload and provide true transparency of SMB's work on your claims.
With lifestyle equilibrium, SMB's Podiatrists see a bright future. They describe a new harmony between work and play. Also; "With SMB handling our billing workload, we now have a solid balance that reconnects us to our desired lifestyle."
Concentrate on Patients' Needs
The dramatically increased complexity of today's podiatry medical billing is keeping Podiatrists from spending the time they want working with patients and their needs. We hear, "Our billing issues are causing a lot of static noise." "It is a strain to shoulder both the increased billing minutia and patients' needs." Some Podiatrists portray a picture of unhappiness at not focusing more on patients' needs.
Because they use SMB's services, SMB Clients are given the freedom to concentrate on their patients' needs. SMB interacts with patients and payors on billing issues. SMB's systems and procedures are organized to allow our clients to spend more time on patients' needs if they so choose.
Current SMB Clients notice the increased time they have to now spend on patients' needs as they want to. "After signing with SMB, we feel that we are now solidly in touch with our patients." "By using SMB, we observe that our patients receive a greater share of our daily focus." Finally, "We are hearing great things from our patients now that we are able to listen to them without the interfering noise of the billing workload."
Enjoy Your Work
Problems with billing issues cause a lot of Podiatrists to not enjoy their work. Office managers call us and tell us of anger when talking to insurance companies. As quoted, "The pain of handling billing issues is causing us to hate coming to work each day."
By providing medical billing services to SMB's clients, our clients are freed to enjoy their work once again. SMB's experts reduce clients' workload by off-loading patients' and payors' reimbursement issues. As said by one of SMB's Clients,"SMB's systems and procedures saves me a lot of time and makes getting information easy."
SMB's customers now are free to enjoy their work. Examples of quotes: 1) "With SMB's experts on the job, I no longer have the tension resting in my shoulders!" 2) "The sounds from my interviews have changed from squawks to pleasant music!" Lastly, "As I now survey my office, a new and brilliant color has reappeared to my work."
Specializes on Tasks that Bring Recognition
Some Podiatrists are looking for a way to specialize on tasks or procedures that bring recognition. "Complex minutia billing regulations are keeping me from performing more surgical procedures," explained one Doctor. Another said that he keeps hearing that tiny voice in the back of his head reminding him that he does not get praise for arguing with payors. Another's eyes glaze over when he has to show payors the errors of their ways.
SMB gives clients the freedom to pursue task that bring recognition they want. SMB handles:
- Patients billing issues
- Interacting with the payors
- Mastering podiatry billing codes
- Ensuring that payor pay in a timely manner
Now, they have the freedom to do what they want.
SMB's clients testimony give voice to their applauds for increasing their freedom. Without the billing issues hanging over their heads, they observe a wide open path where it was previously closed. "It gives me a warm and comfortable feeling to work on the tasks and procedures that I understand are important."
Dramatically Reduced Accounts Receivable
SMB's industry leading AR rate is 3% after 90 days and 1% after 120 days. SMB has helped a lot of podiatry practices regain their financial footing by keeping their account receivable low.
How does SMB do this?:
- A dedicated department just for accounts receivable
- Knowing how to deal with payors
- Mastering podiatry billing codes
- Quickly processing claims
- Special focus on patient relationships
SMB's Doctors are free from the worry about high accounts receivable. Some of their quotes:"My AR and cash flow has been the best since switching to SMB!" Also heard, "My collections and cash flow has greatly improved!" Another example: "Our AR was out of control until SMB took over. After a few months revenue was up and AR was down. Now after 3 years, I would not practice without them."